El Refugio is a small church of about 40 people that has been working in the community for more than 30 years. Pastor José Luis Sical (48 yrs old) along with his wife, Sonia Sical, have been leaders in the church for the past 13 years. Even though there are several orphans and widows in the church with many needs, the widows have a passion and desire to serve others in need. The church supports the community through a variety of outreach programs, including medical clinics, food baskets, and children’s activities.
The church is a three-story building, with a sanctuary, fellowship room, and a floor dedicated to children’s activities. With the support of the members and with other fundraising efforts, the church was able to buy a house next door. The hope is to expand the church sanctuary when they raise the funds. The church is located in Verbena, a poor, high crime area. One of the main issues is drug dealing. Many families can’t afford school fees and materials. As a result, many children do not go to school. Instead, as means of work, these children may begin selling drugs at a young age. Also, a lot of single mothers are involved in prostitution due to economic problems.
Home Based Care
HOme Based care
Through the OVC Program, each Haitian church will help meet the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs of 20 families caring for orphaned and vulnerable children by:
- Forming an OVC committee team of 4-5 members (volunteers)
- Assigning ministry team members to visit each family every month to provide ongoing support, encouragement, prayer, and monitoring of the families
- Providing education scholarships to Christian schools
- Additional tutoring available for students struggling academically
- Providing monthly food baskets to families for additional nourishment and nutrition
- Offering health insurance to families so they can receive medical care, medication, and dental care as needed
- Assisting with the needs of the families as appropriate, including provision of school supplies, clothing, shoes, etc.
- Caring for families emotionally by providing counseling through our World Orphans Haiti social worker
Grace Community Church Representative
Carlos Pharius Haitian Church Pastor
Church Partnership Director